The High Wire Woman Podcast with Rosanna Berardi — Episode 70: https://megaphone.link/OSC9028014101
This week on the High Wire Woman podcast, Rosanna Berardi is talking about the reality of parenthood. Her guest, Christy Keating, is a parenting coach, a child sexual abuse prevention expert, and the founder of the Heartful Parent. Over the years she has taught many parents and professionals how to keep children safe, and how to identify problematic behaviors both in-person and online. In this episode, Christy shares insights on becoming balanced parents, especially in the midst of a crisis like a pandemic.
You’ll hear Rosanna and Christy talk about:
- Parenting is not an easy job, and it doesn’t come with a manual. Parenting for teenagers especially in the midst of a pandemic, as well as with rising rates of suicidal thoughts, depression and anxiety, is even harder. You have to be willing to show up for them every day, and reinforce that you care and that you’re there for them no matter what.
- The only person whose feelings, thoughts and actions you can control is yourself. Accepting that as a parent is so important.
- Give your kids expectations and responsibilities instead of threats. They will respond better.
- Have family meetings that are collaborative instead of lectures. Your kids are more likely to listen if they feel heard.
- It’s important to set boundaries with your children. However, boundaries won’t have any effect if there is no connection, respect or listening between you and your children.
- Christy talks about the importance of understanding that all social media is public and permanent. She also cautions against giving children smartphones before they’re mentally and socially developed for them.
Parenting is a challenge, but it’s a challenge that can be undertaken with the right amount of patience, care and love. Achieving the right balance will help you in the long run and build a stronger family foundation for you and your children.
The High Wire Woman Podcast with Rosanna Berardi: https://mtr.bio/high-wire-woman